Thursday, August 02, 2012

Dr Pepper and Prayer

"Anyone who is thirsty should come to me and drink" - John 7:37

I love Dr Pepper. I'm also aware that consuming 150 calories per can is not good for me, especially in the days when I would drink at least 6 cans a day. Since I've begun working out I've also begun limiting my caloric intake. At first I quit Dr Pepper cold turkey and drank only cold water - at least 8 cups a day, and then a strange thing happened. Dr Pepper, maybe somehow sensing a disturbance in the force, introduced a new product.


I could not get used to the taste of diet Dr pepper, but this new product lacked the chemical burn after taste and so it became a staple in my diet and took up permanent residence in my fridge. I try and limit my intake, but some days it does creep on up there....and there is the problem. As my Dr Pepper intake increases my water intake decreases as I can only take in so much fluid.

Why is it a problem? Because Dr Pepper 10 does not quench thirst. No caffeinated beverage does. The caffeine acts to dehydrate your body. The cold drink satisfies my taste buds but actually exacerbates my thirst.

I know that water is the best thing for me, and that knowledge doesn't help me when I open the fridge and set the cold can just waiting. What I reach for to quench my thirst and what ultimately satisfies me are two different things.

I need to remember this in prayer. Often it feels like I am praying for Dr Pepper thinking that is what I need, and I totally miss the water God is offering. My thirst remains unsatisfied and I blame God instead of realizing that he is offering a far better solution than I can imagine.

What are you thirsty for?

No comments: