Monday, August 23, 2010

Thoughts on Doubt

Mark 6:6a - and he was amazed at their unbelief


Does my unbelief amaze you?
Do I know too much about you to trust you anymore?
Oh I love you deeply, but that doesn't mean I'll let my barriers down.
We've been through too much together you and I,
And I have the scars to show for it.
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

I've swallowed enough shame for this lifetime.
I've begged, pleased, asked, promised, cajoled...all to no avail.
The song says 'Jesus blood never failed me yet'
My response is - 'Ha! Keep trying, it will.'

_______________________



Certainty and Belief are not synonyms
Belief and Doubt are not antonyms


_______________________


I want a Liturgy of Doubt
One that rails against absolutes,
That raises the eternal 'If/Then' to heaven.

"If you are good, then why......."
"If you love me, then how come....."

But life isn't as logical and linear as 'If A then B'.
Maybe the doubt I want vocalized in the liturgy needs to creep into my arguments.
Does A always lead to B?

Has Certainty become and idol and Doubt a pariah?
Has knowing Good and Evil become more important than walking with God in the cool of the evening?

'Step away from that fruit, and no one gets hurt.'

No comments: