Sunday, March 01, 2009

Channeling My Inner Girl Scout

The Season of Lent means two things in the U.S.

Deprivation, and Girl Scout Cookies.

Today they collided.

Having only recently discovered the joys of the Lemonade Cookies I was disheartened when Demand outstripped Supply. I went to visit the girl scouts at my local Kroger twice to buy some Lemonade Cookies, and both times they had sold out.

So I decided to make my own. They may not have the pretty pattern stamped on them, but I assure you they are just as addictive.

So if you've never tried Lemonade Cookies before then hijack a passing girl scout and buy a box, but if they are sold out, try the following:

2 sticks butter (at room temperature)

1 cup Sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)

2 eggs

3 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 12oz can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed and divided (3/4 cup and 1/2 cup - there will be a little left over)

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
  2. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar together, add eggs and beat until fluffy.
  3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour and soda.
  4. Add flour mixture alternately with 3/4 cup of lemonade concentrate to creamed mixture.
  5. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough onto lightly greased cookie sheet (Or use a Silpat - highly recommended for these cookies!!!)
  6. Bake about 8 - 9 minutes until just barely done. The bottoms should be light brown.
  7. While cookies are hot, brush them with lemonade concentrate and sprinkle with sugar.
  8. Remove to a rack to cool.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

These are so yummy. Not helping me lose any weight but they do make me smile. Thank you my love!