Friday, June 27, 2008

Rabbit Abuse becomes Child Abuse!

Tonight was opening night of Urinetown.

It went very well and was very well received :)
I made 2 minor slip ups.

1) I started a scene with my second line of dialogue instead of my first. The first line really wasn't that important, it just meant a minor character got one less line to say (sorry Sam)

2) The other one was weird! There are many strange recurring themes in Urinetown. One of them is Rabbit Abuse. I sing a song in act one called 'Don't Be The Bunny' which is all about not being a poor abused rabbit turned into stew or slippers (!) The main character Bobby says a line "...love has about as much chance of flourishing as a baby bunny drowning in a vat of boiling water...". I have a line in act two about how I am "snuffing out popular resistance like a naughty baby bunny in the palm of my hand".

However in tonight's performance somehow I omitted the word bunny. "...snuffing out popular resistance like a naughty baby in the palm of my hand"

Ewww!

It wouldn't be so bad except that earlier in the show I sing:

"Our resources are as fragile as a new born baby's skull
With your actions you would gut the child and leave a lifeless hull"

Ewwww!

My character is meant to be evil, even though I play him as the sweetest man imaginable. It's just hard to be sweet when you are singing and speaking about abusing babies!

One of the Director's friends summed up the show when he said "I don't know what that was, but I loved it!"

6 comments:

Ginger said...

Glad to hear everything went well! Congrats on your opening night, and nice unintended improv!

I wish we could be there to experience Urinetown! :)

choral_composer said...

I wish y'all could be here too, but I think it might be a bit much for Baby Jack :)

I look forward to seeing y'all in a few weeks.

Becca said...

Wish we could have been there!

Just stopped by because I was listening to the soundtrack of Sweeny Todd and thought of you.

Emileigh Latham said...

How fun! Congrats on your performance. At least there were no costume malfunctions.

Anonymous said...

Really, really enjoyed the show, Peter. I made a point to tell the leads that I liked their performances (and not just because one of them was a pretty girl (because that policeman is anything but)).

of course, we had no idea you had made any flubs and thought you and the whole cast were marvelous.

Bravo!

choral_composer said...

Thanks Paul


I'm glad you came and had a good time :)