Tuesday, February 19, 2008

quick and yummy soup!

Black Bean and Salsa Soup

3 x 15oz cans black beans.
1 can low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 cup chunky salsa – preferably hot
1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 Lime
Optional – sour cream, green onions, avocado to garnish

1.Drain and rinse two of the cans of black beans.
2.In a blender/food processor combine the rinsed beans, broth, salsa and cumin. Blend until fairly smooth
3.Put blended mixture in saucepan. Drain and rinse the third can of black beans and add to the pot.
4.Heat over a medium heat until thoroughly heated.
Just before serving squeeze in the juice of the Lime.

Garnish as desired.

Serves 2 and takes about 15 minutes.


I made this last night, very quick and easy. I would reccomend using good spicy salsa as much of the flavor comes from that. Also, I would definitely garnish with something (I used an avocado) as it makes the soup more appealing to the eye and adds some other texture!

1 comment:

Deidra said...

I made a Carribean black bean soup like this the other night. It had more ingredients but somewhat the same. For the first time in my marriage I burnt the crap out of it, because I was busy playing with the boy and got side tracked. My husband graciously ate it then we tossed the rest of the pot. But I think I will give yours a try less work and it contains salsa can't get any better than that.