Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Contemplative Giggles

Sometimes I confess I have the mind of a 14yr old - though if I'm honest I should actually say 'frequently'.

I was in Contemplative Worship this morning and we were praying with part of an ancient Celtic prayer from the Carmina Gadelica.

The leader encouraged us to touch parts of our body as we prayed as a gesture that we were offering them to God. It was all very reverent and holy, until I reached the end of the prayer and had to stifle a fit of giggles.

God be in my head and in my understanding
God be in my eyes and in my seeing
God be in my heart and in my loving
God be in my ways and in my walking.

God be in my mind and in my thinking
God be in my mouth and in my speaking
God be in my hands and in my doing
God be in my end and at my departing.

Visions of people 'goosing themselves' in prayer leapt to mind so I had to hide my smile behind the piano music stand!

My inner child is definitely alive and well!

1 comment:

JennyB said...

The hymn that leaves me in giggles every time is "Lord, I want to be a Christian in my heart". I tend to be singing "in my toes, in my toes, Lord, I want to be a Christian in my toes".