Sunday, February 07, 2010

Jesus Hates Me - Just to clear up some confusion!


Apparently during the Children's sermon this morning at Chapelwood, Jim invoked my name and mentioned a song I'd written called 'Jesus Hates Me'. He then proceeded to tell the children how that isn't true.


Unfortunately there wasn't time in the children's sermon for Jim to explain the full context and history behind the song, so I was given some very strange looks by church members as I walked into the sanctuary after the service.


Back when I lived in Lubbock I was running a contemporary service with my good friend Sean. One Sunday he told me he was preaching on Spiritual Abuse and did I know any songs on the subject I could sing. I couldn't think of one so I sat down at the piano and improvised the following:


Jesus loves me this I know,
For the bible tells me so,
Little ones to Him belong
Except when we do something wrong.


Then Jesus hates me,
Then Jesus hates me,
Then Jesus hates me,
My Pastor told me so!

If I recall correctly we used the song in the service as a comical way to illustrate how spiritual abuse can happen when the word of God is unintentionally or deliberately misinterpreted.

Just for the record - I DON'T BELIEVE JESUS HATES ME OR ANYONE ELSE....

...and in case you wondered, I created the Church sign using this website.

No comments: