Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Hawthorne Avenue R.I.P.

I've just realized why I'm in a bit of a funk today. The housecleaners are going through my parent's house in the U.K. today and emptying it. All those random books, items of furniture, silly objects etc are being taken away and sold/disposed of. I know it needs to be done but I'm still sad about it. There is a lot of stuff that I would have kept had I lived in the U.K. but was not practical to store or ship over to Texas. As it is I still have 3 boxes stored over there.

It feels like 'House Death' - everything that made Hawthorne Ave a home has gone, the 'soul' has left the property, all that's left is the shell, and that will be sold soon too.

It's sad.
This is the last pic I have of the house that I grew up in and lived in for over 21 years. The room with the light on was my bedroom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter: Thanks for sharing your feelings. So sorry that you are experiencing another grief. Glad that you have the memories and a picture. I remember when my parents sold the farm house I grew up in and that my dad had built...I was sad, even though I had known I would never go back to live there. Scott just got the last money for selling his Dad's house....it is gone. It must have felt very final.
Know that we love you and that you are always welcome in our home.
Diana

choral_composer said...

mmmmmmmm thank you Diana. It's comforting to know that I have a 'home' in Lubbock.