- 1 Tablespoon grated zest from 1 or 2 oranges (depends on size)
- 1 cup (7oz) sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Orange Juice. Preferably unpasteurized, fresh squeezed. (This can be notoriously difficult to find, so either squeeze your own, or make sure you buy good quality pasteurized. In no circumstances buy orange juice made from concentrate. It has a cooked unfresh flavor to it!
- 3 Tablespoons juice from 1 or 2 lemons (depends on size)
- 2 Teaspoons Triple Sec or Vodka
- 2/3 cup Heavy Cream
1. Process the zest, sugar and salt in a food processor until damp, ten to fifteen 1 second pulses.
2. With the machine running add the orange juice and lemon juice in a slow steady stream; continue to process until the sugar is fully dissolved (about 1 minute)
3. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a nonreactive bowl. Stir in the Triple Sec or Vodka, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the freezer until very cold, about 30 to 60 minutes. DO NOT LET THE MIXTURE FREEZE
4. When the mixture is cold, whip the cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Whisking constantly add the juice mixture in a steady stream pouring down the edge of the bowl.
5. Immediately start the ice cream machine and add the juice-cream mixture to the canister; churn until the sherbet has the texture of soft ice cream, 25 to 30 minutes.
6. Remove the canister from the ice cream maker and transfer the sherbet to a storage container; press plastic wrap directly against the surface of the sherbet and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.
7. To serve let the sherbet stand at room temperature until slightly softened.
*I use the type of ice cream maker that has a canister that you freeze for at least 12 hours before using. If you have the old fashioned type that uses ice and rock salt then I have no idea if this recipe will work.
Follow the recipe above with these changes. Substitute lime zest for the orange zest, increase the amount of sugar to 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons, and substitute 2/3 cup FRESH lime juice combined with 1 1/2 cups water for the orange and lemon juices.