Saturday, March 14, 2009

Pot Pie Light!

Whilst making Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips I also decided to make a Chicken Pot Pie. I had seen an episode of 'Throw Down with Bobby Flay' that was dedicated to creating the ultimate pot pie.

It got me craving some chickeny goodness of my own. The problem was I'm dieting so I knew a usual chicken pot pie recipe was out of the question.


One of my cooking light books had a low fat chicken potpie recipe in it!

So, this morning, I boiled veggies and chicken in water to make chicken broth. I strained the broth and shredded the chicken. I cooked veggies (potatoes, leeks, mushrooms, carrots, peas and red pepper) in the broth. Thickened it with flour, salt and milk. Added the shredded chicken. Made low fat biscuits and topped the mix with it.

Then I popped it in the oven for 30 minutes whilst I cleaned up the mountain of bowls I had used in it's preparation!

Here it is hot out of the oven in all it's golden goodness.

It tasted......disappointing. Like many low fat recipes it tasted like something was missing. The sauce, while nice and thick, did not have that creamy richness I associate with Pot Pie. The biscuit topping was lacking the buttery fluffiness of full fat biscuits.

Next time I'll try the recipe from Cook's Illustrated instead :)

No comments: