Wednesday, November 28, 2007

now bring us some figgy pudding.......

Friday I am planning to spend the day, making Christmas Pudding (figgy pudding) and taking defensive driving. If I'm feeling brave I also might make 'Dishwasher Lasagna' - for more information about that click here.

But here are some little known facts about Christmas Pudding (with thanks to Nigella Lawson for the info)

Historically the Christmas Pudding was seen as a religious affront. In 1664, Oliver Cromwell banned it as a "lewd custom," considering the rich pudding "unfit for God-fearing people," and the Quakers rather gloriously condemned it as "the invention of the scarlet whore of Babylon." I think the Quakers make Christmas Pudding sound rather more exciting than it is, but I shall try to cook a Christmas Pudding that the scarlet whore of Babylon would be truly proud of.

(And don't tell anyone, but the version most English people make does not have figs in it anymore!!!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do try the Dishwasher Lasagna! I've been eager to try it, but I haven't had a chance (i.e., I haven't been left alone long enough!). Let me know how it works.

choral_composer said...

I've bought all the ingredients....it's gonna happen on friday. It will be the cleanest Lasagna I've ever made!

Rima Bonario said...

I am finding myself truly grateful that I am no longer in the church business!