Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Weight Update and Boardgaming News

It's the first of the month and halfway through the year (well not quite as the second 6 months have more days than the first, but whose counting!)

My goal has been to lose 5lbs a month, so by now I should be down 30lbs.....

...I'm only down 28lbs, and I feel good about that.

June was a tough month, my body seemed to plateau, no matter what I did the weight would not drop. I would exercise and not lose weight, I would starve myself and not lose weight, I would eat small healthy meals and not lose weight.

By the end of last week I was getting desperate and I found my attitude to my body changing. I was beginning to get angry with my body and dislike it because of it 'maliciously derailing my weight loss plans'. Thoughts of punishing it arose in my mind - maybe grounding it or taking away its car keys!

I had a change of heart last Friday. I didn't like how I was viewing myself, so I decided that I needed to love my body again and if doing that meant I didn't make my goal then that was ok.

I stopped fretting and abusing myself and had a nice gentle weekend. I allowed myself 2 cupcakes from Crave, I cooked healthy, but I did allow myself some celebratory Mexican food when one of my fave restaurants finally reopened.

So, I'm 2 lbs short of where I wanted to be right now. I'm gonna keep losing weight anyhow, and 2lbs isn't worth the detriment of my mental health. I've learnt over the years that the Engine of Change does not run on Hate. You cannot despise yourself into being a better person - no matter what messages I heard from the Pulpit in my youth.

Anyway onto the games!

Only 29 games played this month - that's 2 down from May.

I managed 20 different games, and the number one play is:

Snow Tails -We've only begun to scratch the surface of this game. Dog sled racing through the frozen wastelands. I can't wait to play again and add in the trees!

As for the other games, here are selected highlights!

Werewolf - 3 plays of this in June. Mostly moderating again, but it's still fun, esp when you play outside under a full moon!

Because it was my birthday this month I got to pick all the games one Thursday night!

Evo - A competition to see who can evolve their dinosaur species the most before the meteor hits and wipes them off the planet!

Medina - a brain burning abstract game where you are building an ancient city. The game has all wood pieces and looks nice on the table

Ingenious - a fine abstract strategy game from the master Reiner Knizia


It's now 6 months into the year, and the game with the most plays is Dominion. It just won the coveted Spiel de Jahres award, and the expansion has just been released, so I anticipate this game staying up in the top slot for a while!

2 comments:

Emileigh Latham said...

Congratulations, 28lbs less Petah! It must feel like such a great accomplishment.
There are some very interesting games you have listed. Maybe we should add them to our growing list of games. :D

Deidra said...

You are adorable. I love ya peter.