1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons Paprika, divided
½ teaspoon seasoned salt (e.g. Tony Sachereys)
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 lbs beef chuck cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
8oz mushrooms, quartered
3 potatoes, cubed
5 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup marsala wine
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (can add more to taste)
4 cups low sodium beef broth (approx 2 cans – I make up the difference with water or wine)
1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 package dry onion soup mix
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
1. In the bottom of the crockpot, put the potatoes, carrots, celery, and garlic.
2. In a ziplock bag put the flour, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, seasoned salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper.
3. Add the cubed beef and shake to coat.
4. Heat the oil in a skillet and fry the beef till lightly browned (in batches if need be)
5. Put the beef in the crock pot and, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon sauté the onion and mushrooms until the onions are translucent.
6. Drain the fat and then add the onions and mushrooms to the crockpot.
If you are preparing this the night before stop here and refrigerate.
7. Add the beef broth (plus the extra water/wine if needed), tomatoes, onion soup mix, wine and Worcestershire Sauce.
8. Cook on High for 4 to 6 hours or on Low for 10 to 12 hours.
9. When the cooking time is up, mix the cornstarch with the cold water and then stir into the stew.
10. Let cook for at least 5 mins longer to slightly thicken and then serve.